IT’S JUST GOOD BUSINESS TO MAKE YOUR STAFF COMFORTABLE
The Ontario Human Rights Code requires all employers to meet the accommodation needs of employees with disabilities to the point of undue hardship.
The Employment Standard builds on this requirement. The standard requires employers to have processes in place to determine an employee’s accommodation needs, and it addresses key processes in the life cycle of a job. Requirements apply only to paid employees, not volunteers and non-paid individuals.
There are the key areas that fall under the Employment Standard:
- Informing Employees of Supports
- Recruitment, Assessment or Selection Process
- Accessible Formats and Communication Supports for Employees
- Workplace Emergency Response Information
- Documented Individual Accommodation Plans
- Return to Work Process
- Performance Management, Career Development, Advancement, and Redeployment